Spring can be a little schizo. It’s 65 and sunny on Monday, you’re thinking about linen and summer dresses. On Tuesday, 40 and freezing rain makes it tough to get out of bed. Snow in the forecast? Wake me up in July. So, if you’re feeling a little all over the place with your wardrobe during the Spring season, you’re not mental.
But now is a good time to assess what’s going on with your wardrobe. We have a three part process that we do with all of our clients. Here’s what we recommend you do first:
START WITH YOUR CLOSET
1. To make the cleanse less scary, invite a friend over. Ask them to bring some wine.
2. Pull everything from your closet and drawers out onto your bed (yes, everything.)
3. Immediately put back every piece that you either love/wear often or serves you well. Don’t overthink it.
4. Consider what is left and put back the pieces that are functional and work for you. We’re not talking about a Marie Kondo “spark joy” moment here, we’re looking at pieces that do a job (think trench coat/ basic black pant/ funeral dress) Even if you aren't in love with these work horses, make a note to upgrade but hold onto until you can replace.
5. Seriously consider tossing what’s left (We recommend www.therealreal.com for getting an ROI for your designer pieces and donating the rest to https://dressforsuccess.org/ or https://www.housingworks.org/
WHY THIS PROCESS IS SO IMPORTANT
1. It gives you clarity—both physical and emotional. It’s good to see in your closet only the things that you absolutely love and/or use often, instead of them being lost amongst the detritus of mistakes and outdated clothing.
2. It saves you money when you go shopping. Because you know what you now need and don’t run the risk of duplicating what’s already in your closet (Trust us on this one).
3. When you have clarity in your closet, you will be less tempted to grab items you don’t need just because they are “pretty” (where are you wearing that, anyway?) or on sale.
4. It will save you time getting dressed. Won’t it be nice to get up, look in your closet and be inspired to be more creative with your outfits? Yes, it will.
After your closet cleanse you’ll feel better and lighter. A strange sense of calm will come over you. You might even find yourself more creatively minded. And with that mindset, it’s probably time to do the next thing: Go shopping.
We’ll get to that in Part 2. And until then, enjoy your zen.